Thursday, September 14, 2017

Youth Stereotypes


“No one likes teenagers. Only someone with something wrong inside wants to be around them that much.” (Steinberg, 3)


This quote is a perfect example of stereotyping youth because to say no one wants to be around a young person is just CRAZY!!! Being a young person no matter which stage you are at can be difficult, however that goes for adulthood as well. We all have good and bad days which can result in mistreating someone, but just like any stereotype, they aren't good because it never goes for everything or anyone... EVER. This statement is referring to teens as always having "something wrong."  It would be impossible to be a youth worker and have that mind set because we would then be judging people and not as open minded as we should be at all.



"Youth are a distinct age based entity" (Bogad, 5)

This quote makes me upset in many different ways and I wanted to express that in my blog because I am comfortable with all of you and you knowing where I stand.  As Lesley explains, after a horrible event such as the columbine shooting, there were many articles explaining and asking the question of how well you knew your kid.  The headlines of these articles were making it seem like our generation of kids had a problem, one of the headlines being something like "what is wrong with Americas youth." Not all youth is headed for downfall or set up for failure and I think part of that thought stems from change and how differently we do thinks than adults did when they were youth. 



"Youth are known as mysterious and puzzling to adults" (Bogad, 4)

Conversations we have with our friends and even some family are completely different than conversations adults now used to have.  Ours involve sex and drugs verses what Lesley states as more sophisticated thoughts like work, health, and money. It is confusing because at this time people believe that we have a different state of judgment which forms the stereotype that "people shouldn't listen to young adults because they are mysterious and puzzling




MY MEMORY


"You are too young to worry about that"






This quote connects to stereotyping youth, to me because I feel like I get told this a lot.  My argument is, if I am too young now to worry about it, then when is the right time? I am a planner, therefore if I am worrying about something that is not coming up for a while, chances are I am going to worry about it until there is a plan set in place.  









                                                                           






2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post Ashley and I appreciate the memory you shared about being told that you'e too young to worry about something. It's such a common refrain and I wonder why. There's nothing less helpful than being told your emotions--whatever they are--are wrong or somehow invalid. What are other scenarios when young people are told that their emotions are wrong or don't make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. my love, this is amaze as usual, these quotes are perfect and really stood out to me as well. The way you explained them in our own words and understanding really made it relatable for me.

    p.s i love that i can literally hear you when i read this hahahahah <3

    ReplyDelete

Event 2: Smash your insecurities

                                            One day when Nat, Sam and I were walking out of allied to see what events were on campus we c...